Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Show

Jasper and I had a great time at the agility trial yesterday. Jasper was totally at ease in the crazy trial setting. I really didn't have any concerns about him being intimidated, but I was a little worried about him getting overstimulated. He was excited by the atmosphere, but I was able to keep his attention for a good amount of the time. I think the garlic steak helped!


I wondered if the trial had filled up or not. It didn't seem to be all that busy. I recognized some people there, but this trial was quite further southwest than most of the trials I attended around Richmond. I only saw one person that trained at All Dog Playskool there.

Felicia Mazur, a longtime friend who runs cockers, was there trialing a couple of her dogs. I got to meet her pups, who were all grown up, and talk with her a bit. It's nice to see a friendly face!

Today, however, was not a good day for Jasper and I. I was irritable today for no apparent reason and I took it out of Jasper who was being particularly "bad". He stopped mid-fetch to smell something interesting and then mark it. I was so mad! I can just see him someday stopping mid-run in agility and marking something. I'm going to attempt to keep him on leash more now and not give him as much free reign to run around marking everything. It is really frustrating to have him on a leash though too. He still (after months of work) pulls on the leash when walking and I have to spend nearly half the walk taking him back a few steps every time he pulls. Not an enjoyable walk at all. I'm just hoping that he grows out of all of this in the coming months. He is still really just a teenager with some attitude.


Whenever I get frustrated with him, I just need to remind myself that he really is an awesome dog. It just takes time and patience to get everything in synch. We will get there someday!

No comments:

Post a Comment